Once again Kayla knocks it out of the park with her contribution to SugarSobriety today! Stay tuned next week for Kayla’s goodbye interview!
CHAKRA’S & SUGAR CONSUMPTION
There are so many different avenues to yoga. As a yoga instructor, it is truly humbling to realize that I will forever be a student and will always have the opportunity to learn and grow. The Chakra’s are one of many things to learn about in relation to yoga – so let’s dive in.
As humans, we are all made of energy. There is energy constantly moving through us. Dont believe me? Try this little excercise.
Take both of your hands. Now start clenching your fists rapidly for about 45 seconds.
Keep it up.
Dont slow down.
Youre almost there.
Now take your palms and hold them about 3-4 inches apart. Feel as though its hard to keep your palms close together? That’s energy.
There are seven main energy centers in the human body known as a chakra. The first chakra is at the base of our spine and extends through the crown of our head. I will briefly give an overview of the seven main chakras.
The first chakra is the Root chakra; or Muladhara, which represents our stability, security, and our basic needs. It encompasses the first three vertebrae, the bladder, and the colon. When this chakra is open, we feel safe and fearless.
The second chakra is the Sacral chakra; or Svadhisthana, which is our creativity and sexual center. It is located above the pubic bone, below the navel, and is responsible for our creative expression.
The third chakra is our Solar Plexus; or Manipura, which inhabits the area from the navel to the breastbone. The third chakra is our source of personal power.
The fourth chakra is the Heart chakra; or Anahata, which is our source of love and connection.
The fifth chakra is the Throat chakra; or Vishuddha, which is our source of verbal expression and the ability to speak our highest truth.
The sixth chakra is our Third Eye; or Ajna, located in between the eyebrows, which is the center of our intuition.
The final and seventh chakra is our Crown chakra, or Sahaswara, which is the center of enlightenment and spiritual connection to our higher selves, others, and ultimately, to the divine.
So – after all of that – what do chakras have to do with sugar and addiction/cravings?
It all boils down to one word: Balance.
The goal is to be balanced in all seven chakras. With that said, it is very easy for us to become out of balance in one or several chakras from one day to the next. Although not always the case, our higher chakras (chakras 4-7) have a higher chance of being out of balance if one or a few of the lower chakras are out of balance (chakras 1-3).
To find out which chakras are out of balance, check out this cool online test:
Coincidentally, our Root Chakra is associated with addictive behaviors. When our first chakra is out of balance, we start to feel unstable and insecure, which can be a driving force for addictive and poor behavior – aka overconsumption of sugar. Not only that, but if the Root Chakra is not balanced, it can be a trickle effect up the chakras, making you feel totally chaotic.
Luckily, for us, there are several things we can do to restore our balance. One. There is a yoga practice we can come to. Finding time a few times a week – even if its just for a few minutes – will always help to center yourself. Two. Live a more well rounded lifestyle. Get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water, and finally. Three. Eat properly.
Yes, the food we eat can either create harmony within our body or start to cause havoc.
Shocking. I know.
Think back to when you had one too many cookies. Over carbo-loaded. How did you feel after? Not fantastic I’m sure.
Here are a few simple food guidelines to follow when you notice that one or a few chakras are out of balance.
If your root chakra is unbalanced, choose to eat all or a few of the following:
• Vegetables: carrots, potatoes, parsnips, radishes, beets, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes
• Protein: eggs, meat, beans, tofu, quinoa, soy, almond or cashew butter
• Spices: horseradish, hot paprika, chives, cayenne, pepper, chili
if your sacral chakra needs to be nourished, choose from the following:
• Fruits: melons, mangos, strawberries, passion fruit, oranges, coconut
• Sweets: raw honey
• Nuts: almonds, walnuts, cashews
• Spices: cinnamon, vanilla, carob, sweet paprika, sesame seeds, caraway seeds, ginger
To boost your self esteem, or solar plexus:
• Grains: pastas, breads, cereal, rices, flax seed, sunflower seeds, nuts, chia
(*Try to consume whole grains)
• Dairy: milk, cheeses, yogurt
• Spices: peppermint, spearmint, chamomile, turmeric, cumin, fennel, anise, coriander
To help heal emotional pain, or your heart center:
• Vegetables: spinach, kale, dandelion greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, squash, pumpkin
• Liquids: green tea, mate, chai tea
• Spices: basil, sage, thyme, cilantro, parsley, rosemary
For your throat chakra, or self expression, try:
• Liquids: water, fruit juices, herbal teas
• Fruits: lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges, kiwi, apples, pears, plums, peaches, apricots
• Spices: sea salt, lemon grass
To balance your third eye, or intuition:
• Fruits: blueberries, red grapes, black berries, raspberries, cranberries, acai, pomegranate
• Liquids: red wine, grape juice
• Spices: lavender, poppy seed, mugwort
To balance your spiritual connection, balance the other chakras, which will help to balance the seventh chakra. Since it is about connecting with your higher self, you may find that you need more than food to help clear up your digestive system, energy and space:
• Practice yoga and meditation if possible. Just by sitting quietly for as few as five minutes with your eyes closed, focusing on your breath will make a huge difference in your day and health.
• The same can be said for journaling. You will be surprised at how clear you feel after writing down your thoughts and feelings.
With all of that said, the one thing to take away from this is to find balance in your life. When we live in a space of balance, we energetically feel more aligned and will opt for healthier food choices more and more. The choice is yours.
Until next week!
Dont forget to jump on over to my site
and check me out on the Insta; @KaylaSueYoga.
In light and in love.